Sunday, June 6, 2010


Most would ask, "What is a Bay Rat?" If one were to snooker about my hometown, several answers could be sniffed out. It is the answer to this question that helped frame my passions for the outdoors and my lust for adventure. I think it's important that you understand what being a "Bay Rat" means to me rather than just define it; because there really isn't a definition. Being a Bay Rat is a way of life, a state of mind that is permanently sketched in the brain by the joy and pleasures that are felt while enjoying everyday life on or in the body of water know as Mobile Bay.

The eastern shore of Mobile Bay is where I grew up. It's where I became a Bay Rat. It's where life was simple and having fun was just the way it was. My childhood home was a block away from Mobile Bay and my large extended family shared a bay house in the town of Battles Wharf, AL, just south of my hometown, Daphne, AL. It is here that I trace my roots, my love for adventure, and my passions for the outdoors. I now strech the continent as my advenures push me west to spread the way of the Bay Rat by pursuing my career as a professional fly fishing guide. These are my stories...

2 comments:

  1. another fellow blogger - yay! looking forward to reading about your adventures (and being jealous). speaking of bay rats..... does walking along the bay to get to friends' houses before we could drive qualify??? am i correct in remembering a night when you & donald walked over & my dad had to drive you home??:) i would go back to those days in an instant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yep laura, guilty as charged. it was me. those were the days.

    ReplyDelete